Apr 29, 2015

BLP Chronicles (Meeting the US Ambassador)

(This was still part of AmCham BLP's Day 1 activities. I just wanted to share this in a  new post.)

So.. after our sessions for the day, we were told to prepare and dress up for the Cocktail Dinner at the US Ambassador's residence in Forbes Park, Makati.


Our personal invitation letter from the Ambassador himself.

Funnily, when I checked my Instagram account after I finished preparing, I saw Anne Curtis' picture wearing the same dress as mine. (LOL)




Monica and I finished dressing up before 5pm. I made my way to the lobby first because our group agreed to meet up and talk for a few minutes, but then, when I arrived there I was alone (talk about punctuality.. haha). It turned out that the meeting time was moved from 5PM to 5:15PM. 

Most punctual awardees. Haha

I think it was around 5:25PM already when we departed from the hotel to our destination (Forbes Park). We arrived there by 5:45PM (not quite sure) and was greeted by very strict security.

US Embassy logo/seal at the front of the gate.


We provided our names to the security guards then we were ushered inside.

The ambassador's residence was overwhelming. The garden was landscaped beautifully and well maintained as well. In the front porch, we signed the registration sheet and were greeted by our AmCham executives, Mr. David Caldwell, Mr. Ebb Hinchliffe and Ms. Leslie Murray.

We toured around the garden, took pictures, and chatted for a while with some executives before the start of the program.



Our venue: The Ambassador's Garden

Some of the photos I took before the start of the program. I apologize for its low quality.

Hon. Philip S. Goldberg, the Ambassador of the US to the Philippines, arrived later then he chatted with us. He was very humble and honorable at that. Did I mention that he's single? Oh he is! And very handsome too.


With Ambassador Philip S. Goldberg

The program started by 6:15PM, I was chatting then with Andrea, an exchange student of AISEC, working for now at John Clements.

We had the opportunity to introduce ourselves in front of all the honorable guests that night - the ambassador, top executives of multinational companies, US embassy staff, AmCham Directors, etc.



Photos grabbed from AmCham website



More selfies and chitchats followed after the program. I had the opportunity to talk and exchange business cards with Ms. Frenchie from AIM, Mr. Henry Pelaez from Bank of America-Merrill Lynch, Mr. Chris Stolk of SeaChange, Mr. David Schnier of the US Embassy, Mr. Dan Molloy of P&G, Mr. Rob Sears and Ms. Leslie of AmCham.

Dinner followed. Mr. Rob Sears urged me to start so everyone would follow suit, so I did. I was the first one to bless our meals because everyone was still so busy chatting at that time. 

I only put few food in my plate because I wasn't really famished. We had burger before we left the hotel and I had wine upon arrival. But I admit, the zucchini lasagna and mini burger were the best! I wanted seconds but was quite hesitant to leave the table.

I was in the table with AmCham Foundation President Edwin Feist, someone from the US Embassy (I forgot his name and he wasn't able to bring his business card that night too, so sad), I think Karla, Marlo and Justin were there too.

We had so many interesting conversations such as the ASEAN Integration, their favorite diving spots in the Philippines, their families, and our dreams and aspirations in life.

Too sad that it had to end early. We didn't notice the time when we were already instructed to go back to the bus. The welcoming party was almost over and I realized that I hadn't talked to the other executives present there. I excused myself from the table and bid farewell to them. I quickly moved around, introduced myself to the other executives, and exchanged cards. We were all in a hurry to talk with everyone, but time got in our way. Some of them left already and I regretted not being able to exchange cards with them. 

But still, overall, it was such an overwhelming experience. To be able to talk to so many people (executives at that) was an opportunity rarely given to anybody. I still couldn't quite fathom the fact that I was there at that moment.

And on our way back to the hotel, I said a prayer of thanks and also of request for a safe travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment