Mar 31, 2012

Hardwork Pays Off

"Don't wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident and more and more successful."
- Mark Victor Hansen


High School huh?
As anyone would say, it's the best part of a student's life, I am no exception to that.

It just started with a simple dream.
A dream of being a student in Alabel National Science High School, the Regional Science High School for Region XII. And that dream came true. I passed the entrance exams, and even topped once.

I have already mentioned what my life was like as a student in AlSci in my previous post Buhay AlSci.

For the first three years, just like other students, I had difficulties adjusting and adapting to the new environment, new peers, new teachers, everything's new. Hence, I got used to it as time passed by.

As a Science High School student, we have faced the so-called "PRESSURE", the burden in our shoulders as they say, for we are the Regional Science High School in the region, we have to be always on top. The expectations were so high on us.

My family, friends, and almost everyone I've known expected me to top the class. Not just in academics, but also in extra-curricular activities. I have been a constant honor student way back in grade school, and I maintained the rank 1 title until the third year in high school. So, it's just not surprising if everyone expects me to be the Class Valedictorian.


There's also the fact that it's Senior Year, it's our last time to be with our batchmates, I want to spend as much time as I could with them. However, I am not sure if I can do it with so much things to do. Earlier in summer, while I was doing our summer output for research. Teacher Shy contacted me from Malaysia and told me she was letting me join the research team and I agreed to it. Another work, so I expected that my Senior Year will indeed, be very hectic.

As the start of the school year 2011-2012, I have already felt the pressure getting through my nerves. My grades in the last three years can't do any good for my fourth year ratings. So, I have to start again, "back to zero".

I just did my usual habit for the past three years: Listen. Participate. Make assignments. Study before quizzes and exam periods. Past the projects ahead of time. Do well. and Pray.

I am not just trying to do well in my academics, I am also trying be active on clubs, and participate in some competitions as well. I have been elected as the Young Researcher's Club (YRC) President, and began to do my job. I had difficulties on how to manage everything for I am just a student, I do have responsibilities as well. I have to study, I have to do much more than previous years. And, I have to pass college entrance examinations as well. That's what I thought.

As months pass by quickly, I studied harder. Persevered and determined. Did my job as YRC President, SSG Treasurer and SCE facilitator. I also participated in several competitions, like Nutrition Month Quiz Bee, Math Olympics and Science Investigatory Project. And here comes another blessing, my acceptance to AFS JENESYS Intercultural Exchange Programme. I had to be out of school for several hours a day, I was preparing my papers, my medical certificate, I had vaccinations for the next few days, and worked on with my passport just to make it up before the deadline. 

My life has been dragged onto another level. I was busier than I ever was. I had no time. No time for myself, no time for fun, no time for friends, no time for outing, and no time for love :'(

Another year passed, Goodbye 2011 and Hello to the Year of the Water Dragon!
I thought that my life will be different from now on. But, I think it's already running in my blood.
I have been used to it, and so, my life keeps getting busy and busier as time goes on.

I have posted my activities last February, my continuous competitions in Baguio City and India, and then our promenade and pictorials. This is how my life goes on until the last Month of my Senior Year. We had a continuous schedule, we had our National Achievement Test, our final exams, laboratory exam and oral defense. We also have to prepare for graduation and practice the songs that we're gonna sing.

There were times that I simply hate myself for being so busy, for having no time for other things. I've been problematic lately. I cried a lot. Been depressed with just simple mistakes. But I have learned an important lesson from a very special person, "Problems only become problems if you stress yourself with it. Just go with the flow." And so, I did not stress myself anymore with the hectic schedule I had. I simply went through with the flow of the events. And all my hard work paid off.

Here comes our recognition day, I have been recognized for my efforts in the clubs I participated. As well as the activities I pursued for the past four years.


My awards during Recognition Day
I have received the following awards during the Recognition Day:

YRC Leadership Awardee, 
AFS JENESYS Intercultural Exchange Programme Scholar, 
2012 ISE Researcher, 
9th National Science Quest Researcher (Applied Science Team-Champion),  
Science Club Enthusiasts Awardee, 
Young Researcher of the Year, 
Computer & STEP Awardee, 
Kabataan News Network Awardee, 
Junior Ecologist Ministry Service Awardee and 
First Honors (4th Grading)

The following day, we had our graduation, the most important day of the students' lives, especially to me. It's the day of achievement and crowning glory, the day that I reap the fruits of my toil and diligence for the past four years. I am awarded as the class VALEDICTORIAN, I also received the Best in Math, Best in Science and other academic excellence awards. 

With SDS Dr. Allan Farnazo, Mrs. Norma P. Rendon, our principal, Mr. Frank Hortal from PTA and my parents.
While delivering my Valedictory Address.
For the past years, I have done everything I could. I thought I had reached beyond my expectations. I have been very happy and grateful for everything that happened in my life. Even though I have been very busy with my life during these years, I've struggled enough. I've been pressured too much. I still went on. I believed that I can do it. I believed that anything's possible. And I never lose my faith.

Indeed, I have been very blessed. And I will continue what I have started. This is not yet the end of my journey. I am still about to set off to the real world, the COLLEGE LIFE, where I am about to be on my own.

Belief + Determination + Perseverance + Faith = SUCCESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment